No matter what skin type you have or what age you are, the arrival of a pimple is always met with annoyance. It always seems to rear its angry head at the most inopportune times. More often than not, it’s happens before a family function or big party when you’re set to put your best foot forward. Pimples hamper even the best made plans, where you end up having to apply layers after layers of concealer on top. Let’s find out why this happens in the first place.
How Do Pimples Form?
When the skin’s sebaceous glands produce an excess of sebum, it clogs the glands and cause pimples to form. Pimples are commonly seen on the cheeks, forehead, jawline and chin however they can also appear on the chest, back and thighs.
Reasons Why You’re Getting Pimples
There are many reasons why pimples form. Usually it is due to hormonal changes, medical reasons and lifestyle factors.
- Certain medications can cause your skin to flare up and pimples to form
- Using skin and makeup products which aren’t suitable for your skin type
- Not following hygiene practices by washing sweat off frequently or removing makeup at the end of the day
- Medical conditions like PCOD include pimples as a side-effect
- Periods in which your body experiences hormonal changes like puberty and pregnancy
- A diet with high content of refined sugar, salt and carbohydrates may also cause pimples
Precautions To Take When You Have Pimples
The first instinct everybody has when they spot a pimple on their face is to pinch it and press it to get the gunk out. Stop yourself when you have that urge. Here are few precautions to follow when you have a pimple.
- Keep your hands away from your skin to prevent spread of bacteria
- Continue to follow your skincare routine and ensure adequate cleansing, moisturising and sun protecting
- Treat it with home remedies, products or medical help as soon as you can
- Don’t overly dry out the pimple as it can lead to spots and scars
- Avoid oil-based products as it can further aggravate the skin